Faculty of Business and Information Technology
- Bachelor of Math, Computer Science University of Waterloo in Waterloo, Ontario
- Master of Math, Scientific Computation University of Waterloo in Waterloo, Ontario
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning University of Waterloo
Research and expertise
Dr. Lu's research areas focus on applying machine learning and numerical analysis techniques towards business and health applications. His research crosses several disciplines, including health informatics, computer science, gaming, fraud detection and security. He has collaborated with industry and government partners, including the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants, Manulife Financial, the Canadian Department of National Defence and Medavie Blue Cross.
Dr. Lu’s current major research projects involve:
- Adaptively learning fraud patterns in health insurance data.
- Improving youth fitness with mobile technology applications.
His research has been funded by the National Science Foundation, the Ontario Partnership for Innovation and Commercialization and the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council. He was awarded first place at the Canadian Operations Research Society (CORS) 2014 Practice Prize and third place at the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS) 2013 interactive poster sessions for his fraud auditing work with Markov decision processes. Because of his expertise in technology and business, he has been featured on Canadian national television news (CTV News).
- Lu, F., Lemonde, M., A Comparison of Online versus Face-to-Face Teaching Delivery in Statistics Instruction for Undergraduate Health Science Students. Advances in Health Sciences Education, 2013, DOI: 10.1007/s10459-012-9435-3.
- Lu, F., Turner, K., Murphy, B., Reducing Adolescent Obesity with a Mobile Fitness Application: Study Results of Youth Age 15 to 17. Proceedings of 15th International Conference on E-Health, Networking, Application & Service: IEEE Healthcom, 2013. 6.
- Lu, F., Boritz, J. E. and Covvey, H. D. Adaptive Fraud Detection Using Benford’s Law. Advances in Artificial Intelligence: 19th Conference of the Canadian Society for Computational Studies of Intelligence, Canadian AI 2006. 19:347-358, 2006.
- Lu, F., Error Bounds for Policy Evaluation in Reinforcement Learning. Advances in Artificial Intelligence: 18th Conference of the Canadian Society for Computational Studies of Intelligence, Canadian AI 2005. 18:438-449, 2005.