Faculty of Business and Information Technology
Business and Information Technology Building - Room 3036
2000 Simcoe Street North
Oshawa, ON L1H 7K4
905.721.8668 ext. 5396
Dr. Hamid Akbari holds a PhD in Strategic Management with an emphasis on international business. His doctoral dissertation, Internationalization and Performance of Emerging Market Firms: Institutional Embeddedness in Advanced Economies, was a finalist for the Best Dissertation Award of the Academy of International Business (AIB) (Peter J. Buckley and Mark Casson AIB Dissertation Award, 2013). A paper based on his dissertation is a finalist for the Academy of Management GWU-CIBER Best Paper on Emerging Markets Award (2013). His research is mainly in the area of international management, with a focus on emerging market corporations. He has studied institutional environments of multinational corporations, performance determinants and outcomes of international acquisitions, and development of organizational capabilities.
Dr. Akbari's recent work includes a case study on technology adoption.
- PhD in Strategic Management Schulich School of Business, York University in Toronto, Ontario
- Master of Business Administration Sharif University of Technology in Tehran, Iran
- Bachelor of Science Sharif University of Technology in Tehran, Iran
Research and expertise
- evolution of organizational capabilities
- innovation and knowledge flows
- internationalization strategy
- international mergers and acquisitions
- strategic alliances
Internationalization and Performance of Emerging Market Firms: Institutional Embeddedness in Advanced Economies, AIB Insights, 2013, Volume 13, Issue 3.
Institutional Embeddedness of EE Firms in Advanced Economies: A Longitudinal, Multi-Industry Study, Academy of Management's Best Paper Proceedings, 2013 (finalist for the Academy of Management GWU-CIBER Best Paper on Emerging Markets Award)
- Cross-border Acquisitions by Emerging-Economy Firms: Institutional Gap as a Source of Value Creation, Proceedings of the 55th Annual Meeting of the Academy of International Business, 2013.
Management, consulting and entrepreneurial experience
- Manager, Investment Banking Group, 2004-2005 (IBG was acquired by Global Investment House in 2007)
- Associate Consultant, Roland Berger Strategy Consultants, Summer 2004
- Co-founder and Manager, Abern Investment Group, 2004-2005
- Founder and CEO, Farhikhtegan-Sharif, 1998-2002