Associate Professor and Associate Dean, Research
Faculty of Business and Information Technology
Business and Information Technology Building - Room 4032
2000 Simcoe Street North
Oshawa, ON L1H 7K4
905.721.8668 ext. 2832
- American Marketing Association (AMA)
- Canadian Operational Research Society (CORS)
- Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)
- Marketing Science Institute (MSI)
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) HEC Montreal, Quebec
- Master of Science (MSc) HEC Montreal, Quebec
- Bachelor of Commerce Institut des Hautes Etudes Commerciales (IHEC) Carthage, Tunisia
- Marketing Channels
- Marketing Strategy
- Marketing Research
- Retail Management
Research and expertise
Recent research topics include co-operative advertising agreements in distribution channels, competitive strategies for national and store brands, and the assessment of marketing mix effectiveness for movies. Dr. Karray investigates both financial and policy implications of such marketing decisions using theoretical and empirical quantitative methodologies. Currently, she is working on the following topics:
- retailing and channel management
- marketing mix effectiveness
- marketing models
- movie marketing
- marketing analytics
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada discovery grant (2015-2020)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada discovery grant extended funding (2012-2014)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada discovery grant (2007-2012)
- Quebec Funds for Research on Society and Culture (FQRSC) excellence grant (2004)
Selected journal publications
- Karray, S., G. Martín-Herrán and G. Zaccour (in press). Assessing the profitability of cooperative advertising programs in competing channels. International Journal of Production Economics.
- Karray, S., G. Martín-Herrán and S. P. Sigué (2017). Cooperative advertising for competing manufacturers: The impact of long-term promotional effects. International Journal of Production Economics, 184, 21-32.
- Karray, S. and S.P. Sigue (2016). Should Companies Jointly Promote their Complementary Products when they Compete in other Product Categories? European Journal of Operational Research, 255(2), 620-630.
- Karray, S. and C. Surti (2016). Channel coordination with quantity discounts and/or cooperative advertising. International Journal of Production Research. DOI: 10.1080/00207543.2016.1173253.
- Karray, S. and L. Debernitz (2015). The effectiveness of movie trailer advertising. International Journal of Advertising. DOI: 10.1080/02650487.2015.1090521.
- Karray, S. and S.P. Sigué (2015). A game-theoretic model for co-promotions: choosing a complementary versus an independent product ally. Omega, The International Journal of Management Science, 54, 80-100.
- Karray, S. (2015). Cooperative promotions in the distribution channel. Omega, The International Journal of Management Science, 51, 49-58.
- Karray, S. and S.H. Amin (2015). Cooperative advertising in a supply chain with retail competition. International Journal of Production Research, 53 (1), 88-105.
- Karray, S. (2015). Modeling brand advertising with heterogeneous consumer response; channel implications. Annals of Operations Research, DOI: 10.1007/s10479-014-1656-9.
- Karray, S. (2013). Periodicity of pricing and marketing efforts in a distribution channel. European Journal of Operational Research 228 (3), 635-647.
- Karray, S. (2011). Effectiveness of retail joint promotions under different channel structures. European Journal of Operational Research 210 (3): 745-751.
- Karray, S. and G. Martin-Herran (2009). A dynamic model for advertising and pricing competition between national and store brands. European Journal of Operational Research 193 (2): 451-467.
- Karray, S. and G. Martin-Herran (2008). Investigating the relationship between advertising and pricing in a channel with private label offering: a theoretic model, Review of Marketing Science 6 (1).
- Sigue, S.P. and S. Karray (2007). Price competition during and after promotions, Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences 24: 80-93.
- Karray, S. and G. Zaccour (2007). Effectiveness of co-op advertising programs in competitive distribution channels, International Game Theory Review 9 (2): 151-167.
- Karray, S. and G. Zaccour (2006). Could co-op advertising be a manufacturer's counterstrategy to store brands? Journal of Business Research 59 (9): 1008-1015.
- Karray, S. and G. Zaccour (2005). A differential game of advertising for national and store brands, in Dynamic Games: Theory and Applications, Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Periodicity of pricing and marketing efforts in a distribution channel under different leadership scenarios: a game theoretic model. McMaster University (Canada), 2013.
- Effect of trailer advertising on the financial performance of the associated movie: an event study. European Marketing Academy Conference (Portugal), 2012.
- Optimal Sequence of play for channels with cooperative advertising programs. EURO XXV conference – special session (Lithuania), 2012.
- Effectiveness of retail joint promotions under different channel structures, University of Waterloo (Canada), 2012.
- Channel coordination in heterogeneous markets. Marketing Science Conference - Special Session (Germany), 2010.
- Joint promotions in channels. Workshop on Game Theory in Marketing Channels, HEC Montreal (Canada), 2009.
Peer-reviewed conference proceedings:
- Karray, S., Smimou, K. and Sud, L. B. (2013). Tie-in promotions in the motion picture industry: an empirical study. Academy of Marketing Science conference proceedings.
- Debernitz, L. and Karray, S. (2012). Effect of trailer advertising on the financial performance of the associated movie; an event study. European Marketing Conference proceedings.